02 January 2011

Primitive Shelf in the Kitchen

I have shelf unit in my kitchen where I keep lots of primitives and antiques. I change things up on the shelves once in awhile, especially if my hubby brings home some newly discovered antique bottles or something (which he does quite often). I thought I'd share a photo of one shelf on that unit that is full of a variety of antique and primitive goodies.

There are 3 antique bottles on this shelf; the Hubs found each of those under a different house in town. He's a plumber and a contractor, so he's actually digging under and around people's houses all the time. So he often brings home some little bottle or what-not. You'll also see a glass chicken dish, which is an antique and used to belong to my great grandmother. The little white mug and old domino are two more items the Hubs found under a house (might even have been ours...it's hard to keep track). The 2 tins are reproductions of old spice cans. The miniature butter churn is one we found at an auction somewhere. I just thought it was cute so had to buy it. There are also a few random resin chickens here and there (I seem to have a chicken theme on this shelf, now that I think about it); and there's a cute primitive doll that is part of a handmade ornie swap from Prim Mart.

The one really special piece on the shelf though is in the left-hand corner in a frame. It is the antique sole of a shoe that my husband found underneath our home during one of our many remodeling projects (it only took us 15 years to gut and remodel every single room in our 1890 house!). I loved that little find, because it just made me wonder what the shoe looked like. And it also made me wonder what the child looked like who might have worn it, and did they wear it while walking in our house? So I decided to frame the old sole, and I added a caption to it that reads, Footsteps of the Past. Seemed very appropriate for this truly timeworn treasure.

post signature