08 January 2011

Black Crow Dough Ornies

Dough Ornies are one of my favorite primitive bowl fillers to make. You can be so creative with them and they are so inexpensive, because you have most of the items right in your kitchen. And since I love primitive crows too, it was only natural to want to make some black crow dough ornies as well!



I use a dough recipe that is a combination of several different recipes I've acquired over the years of making primitives. (Click to view my Primitive Dough Recipe) But as you can see, these dough ornies are black. And yet I didn't paint them (painting a bunch of individual dough ornies is quite time-consuming, and I don't wanna to do that if I don't have to!)  I simply sprinkled in some powdered tempera paint when I mixed my dough. You can buy it at almost any art supply store. I start with probably a tablespoon and mix well, then if it's not dark enough I just keep adding more until it's the desired color. Warning though: your hands will become quite black during this process, so you might want to wear gloves if you want to avoid that! And just as an FYI, these dough ornies are shiny because I dipped them in wax once they were finished and cooled. I dip most of my dough ornies in wax to seal them. 

Powdered Tempera is a great way to add color to all of your primitive dough ornies and creations, without the hassle of having to actually paint them. Think of all the possibilities: red apples, red hearts, orange pumpkins, white sheep, green leaves (or orange, or red, or yellow!), yellow stars...so many different things you can do.

These dough ornies make great primitive bowl fillers all by themselves, or you can mix them in with your prim fixins or potpourri to give them an extra primitive touch too.


post signature