09 January 2011

Grungy Prim Fixins Bag

I love having a nicely scented home, and I also love making my own Prim Fixins to scent it and add a decorative touch. The basic Prim Fixins ingredients are cinnamon sticks and rosehips, but you can add so many other things to them too. 


Dough ornies are great additions, as are any types of pods or other dried botanical items. There are so many ways you can display Prim Fixins, or even give them as gifts. I thought I'd share with you just a couple of things I do. 

First is to use a mason jar (I prefer the square masons) and instead of using the regular lid, I use a rusty frog jar lid. Generally frog lids are used for flower arranging in a jar; it allows flowers to stand up better in the jar when you use the frog lid. Not quite sure why it's called a "frog lid." LOL But what I like is that it gives you on open top, which allows your scented rosehips' aroma to come out of the jar. And the jar is just a nice, primitive touch. These make great gifts too; just be sure to put some plastic wrap over the top of the jar (but under the lid) so no smaller rosehips fall out.


Another great idea is also perfect for gift-giving, and that's to use a grungy muslin bag. Once I've grungy'd up my bag I take a stencil that says Fixins and use brown or black stencil cream and stencil that word onto the front of the bag. Then I put some scented Prim Fixins in a clear cello bag (just in case any fragrance oil might still be wet--you don't want it to seep onto the muslin bag) and put that inside the grungy muslin bag. It's so prim!


And you know what? You can also use these Grungy Prim Fixins Bags just as decor in your country or primitive home. They don't even have to have actual fixins in them! You can stuff them with newspaper or fiberfill and set the bag on a shelf or in a bowl. Just another idea. :o)
post signature