09 February 2011

Grungy Button Bag

Over the weekend I created another project with a grungy theme, my Grungy Button Bag. I always have a good studio day when I'm making more Grungy Goods!

Grungy Button Bag
This bag is about 5x7" in size. I grungy'd it up first using my grungy sauce mix, following the recipe on my Grungy Hang Tag Tutorial. Then the next step was to create the 3-layered flower out of 3 different types of material. This was the very first time I made a fabric flower, so I followed a Burlap Flower Tutorial that I had linked to on my art blog. I did everything the same except the very end, because I wanted the center of my flower to be more flat, so that I could attach the button in the center. I tried to vary the materials I used for the flower. I chose a cream colored burlap for the back layer; a plain muslin for the middle layer, but I also grungy'd that up with some Glimmer Mist in "coffee shop" color; and then the top layer is a vintage-looking cotton print.

After I sewed the flower to the bag, I added to more buttons in brown and cream colors to balance it out and finish it off. It just didn't seem finished with only the flower on there. I like it much better with the two additional buttons. I think I'm going to use this creation as a gift bag for someone. It's very primitive looking, but you know, you could leave the bag white and go shabby chic if you wanted to as well. It has lots of possibilities.


post signature