06 March 2011

Primitive Crow n Shamrock Hanger

I've got something to crow about for sure today...it's my Primitive Crow n Shamrock Hanger that I just finished, just in time for St. Patrick's Day!

I made the crow itself out of felt. I really like the look and feel of felt in craft projects, so I'm always happy to use it in something new. I drew a crow shape on cardstock to create a pattern, then traced that twice on the felt and then cut them out. Then I also drew a wing shape and cut out four of those. For the raggedy shamrock I used some green and cream ticking fabric--I drew the shamrock and then cut out two of those. 

I used black embroidery thread to stitch the wings together first, using a top stitch. I left about a 1" opening to  stuff with fiberfill, then stitched each wing closed. Then I attached each wing to one side of the crow's body. Next I stitched the crow together, again using black embroidery thread and a simple top stitch, and leaving a couple of inches open for stuffing. Once the crow was sewn together I added some  green primitive star buttons for eyes. And then I used some yellow acrylic paint to paint his beak. I just thought the all black beak was too much and I wanted a pop of color. 

Then I stitched most of the raggedy shamrock together on my sewing machine, leaving a small opening for stuffing, then sewed it closed. I trimmed off the excess fabric and rubbed the fabric a bit to get it to be more raggedy-looking. Then I finished it off by attaching the raggedy shamrock to the crow with black embroidery thread, and I attached another piece of the thread to the crow's body so I can hang it up. 

I don't do tons of sewing craft projects because I'm just not that good at it. But I do love how my primitive crow turned out. And he'll be perfect hanging in my kitchen.

post signature